When life gives you lotsa lemons
(actually I just could not resist that beautiful bag of lemons and there were 10 lemons in a bag!) , you gotta make lemon cookie slices (15 generous slices in total). They shout sunshine to me. And they were so puckering yummy!
The desiccated coconut incorporated into the shortbread base gave a chewy texture to the treat and the lingering coconut flavour paired well with the lemon filling.
Come, let's make some sunshine!
Lemon Cookie Slices
[Adapted from Donna Hay]
15 pieces of 5cm by 8.5cm slices
60g desiccated coconut
300g organic unbleached all purpose flour
200g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 egg yolks
50g organic unbleached all purpose flour
1 Tbsp lemon zest
250ml lemon juice, juice from 3 medium size lemons
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Combine sugar, desiccated coconut, flour and butter and stir till resemble coarse crumbs.
- Press the dough into a 25 x 25cm baking pan lined with non-stick paper. Press well into the corner and sides so that the filling will not leak down to the base when it is pour in later.
- Bake for 20 min or till golden brown.
- Allow it to cool on cooling rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 160 degrees C (325 degrees F) for baking the lemon filling.
- Oven temperature at 160 degrees C (325 degrees F). Whisk eggs and yolks, then add sugar, flour, lemon zest and lemon juice. Whisk till smooth.
- Pour lemon mixture carefully over cooled cookie base and bake for 20 min or till mixture just set (the center of the filling still have a little jiggle).
- Cool on cooling rack and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight till firm. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Share the recipe with others through