Today, my youngest child, turns 11! I am thankful to God for showing me His love through my children. And to my child, I pray that she will continue to experience the Creator God and finds joy in the things she does.
Sponge Cake Recipe
20g butter, melted
1 Tbsp milk
90g unbleached organic flour
3 large eggs (each of the egg used was 57g)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Steps to bake:
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line the bottom of two 6" cake pan with parchment paper.
- Mix melted butter with milk in a small bowl and set aside.
- Sieve the flour twice to aerate it.
- Prepare a pot of simmering water (low heat) to create a double boiler for the next step.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add eggs and sugar. Place it over the simmering water and whisk the mixture with a hand whisk until it is lukewarm or sugar have dissolved. Rub the mixture between your index finger and the thumb and if you can feel the sugar grains, continue to whisk over the double boiler until sugar is dissolved. Take the mixing bowl off the heat when you are doing that.
- Then set the bowl on the stand mixer and whipped on high until the egg mixture is very thick.
- Add the sieved flour in 3 parts into the egg mixture.Fold, by hand, with a spatula one-third of the flour until it is incorporated into the egg mixture. Repeat with the rest of the flour.
- Then fold in the mixture of melted butter and milk.
- Pour the batter equally into the 2 prepared pans. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean from the center of the cake.
- Take the cake out from the oven and leave it cooling in the pan for 15 minutes. Use a paring knife to go around cake and remove the cake from the pan and let cool on the rack for 30 minutes.
- When cake is cooled, level the top of the cake, if needed and splice each of the cake into 2 layers, so in total, you will get 4 layers of cake.
Fresh Whipped Cream
300g whipped cream, cold
2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
Steps to whipped:
- Pour the cold cream into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Whip the cream on high and slowly stream in the sugar as you whip.
- Whipped till stiff peaks.
- Use the cream immediately or cover it with cling wrap and place into the fridge till ready to frost the cake.
Assembling the Cake
1 punnet of strawberry, washed and sliced
fresh whipped cream
sponge cake layers
Steps to assemble:
- Place one cake layer onto a cake board. Scoop 2 tablespoon of whipped cake onto the layer and spread the cream evenly using an offset spatula.
- Topped the cream with a single layer of sliced strawberries and scoop another 2 tablespoon of whipped cream on the strawberries and spread the cream evenly over the strawberries. Place another layer of cake on the cream and repeat the process.
- When the top layer of cake is placed on, scoop 1/2 cup of whipped cream onto the top of the cake and using the spatula spread the cream evenly and down the sides of the cake, until the whole cake is covered with the whipped cream.
You can find me on Facebook: