- Tried & Tasted -

Monday 28 April 2014

Pineapple tart pastry...


Yes...pineapple tarts in the April. I am one who believes that we can enjoy festive cookies anytime of the year. I feel that during the festive season, I usually I ate so much of these cookies that I actually get quite sick of them. And during festive months, cookies are mass produced months before the festival, which made them laden with preservatives and/or trans fats thus quality of product are compromise. As a home baker, I can whip up these cookies, using the best ingredients, as and when my family craves for them.





As I had some pineapple jam left from lunar new year (I freeze the leftover jam till now), and a lot of egg yolks left from baking the surprise cake, I decided to make pineapple tarts. I do not have enough of the pineapple jam to fill all the pastry -_-". So I decided to filled some with raspberry jam instead. Raspberry jam goes very well with the pastry and I find them pretty looking too.



 
Then, what is hidden in the ball shaped cookies?? Whole macadamia nuts. They are brought back by my 大姨, who lived in Australia. Thank you,大姨. 




As you have noticed, I did not glaze my tarts as I find the egg wash affect the melt in the mouth feel of the pastry. The egg wash will give the tart a nice golden brown hue after baking and a richer mouth feel but I personally prefer it without. The egg wash (1 egg + 1 tsp water) can be applied using a pastry brush just before baking. 

The dough I used is not very sweet as the pineapple and raspberry jams are sweet. But some people may find it not sweet enough, so just up the icing sugar to 90g if you prefer it sweeter. The dough do have the melt in your mouth feel as corn flour and milk powder are added. Hope that you will enjoy this recipe as my family do and get to enjoy pineapple tarts anytime of the year. 


Pineapple Tart Pastry
Ingredients:
390g organic unbleached flour
250g butter, slightly colder than room temperature but not frozen
1/4 tsp salt
2 large egg yolks
70g icing sugar (90g, if you like it sweeter)
18g corn flour
50g milk powder
1/2 tsp homemade vanilla essence/ any vanilla essence

Directions:

  1. Sieve flour, icing sugar, corn flour and milk powder into a bowl and set aside.
  2. Cream the butter till light and creamy.
  3. Add in egg yolks one at a time until incorporated. Add vanilla.
  4. Add flour mixture in 2 additions. Mix till dough almost comes together but still have streak of flour in the mixing bowl. Finish mixing the left over flour by hand using a spatula.
  5. Wrap dough up in cling wrap and let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 mins. The dough can be freeze at this stage for up to 3 weeks. 
Would like to hear your feedback if you have tried out the recipe. 
Happy baking :)

To be in the loop, click 'like' on Facebook:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment