Most of us would think freshly baked pastry are best when they are right out of the oven. But not for these pineapple tarts. They tasted way better the day after.
Right out of the oven, the buttery tart base is a little crunchy in texture but when the pastry get a rest overnight, they transformed into a melt-in-your-mouth texture and oh were they good. Traditional mooncakes is the other baked pastry that will improve in texture after resting for a few days.
Let's get baking.
Pineapple Tart Pastry [Print Recipe]
(makes approximately 730g of dough)
292g unsalted butter, room temperature
292g organic unbleached flour
136g rice flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
Steps to pastry:
- Sieve the flours into a large bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter, sugar and salt, until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract and mixed until incorporated.
- Add flours and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mixed.
- Cover the dough and chill for 30 minutes.
For open face pineapple tarts:
(makes approx. 60, 4cm diameter pineapple tarts)
880g pineapple filling
520g of the above pastry
For the square pineapple tarts (filling on the inside):
120g pineapple filling
210g of the above pastry
Steps to tart:
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Roll the tart pastry to approximately 5mm thick and using a pineapple tart cookie cutter cut out the cookies and place them directly onto the parchment paper.
- In the center of the cut out pastry, place a teaspoon of the pineapple filling. (Roll between your palms to form a ball of filling)
- Weigh out 35g of dough and 2 teaspoons of pineapple filling, rolled into a ball (approx. 20g).
- Wrap the dough evenly around the pineapple filling then gently press the dough into the square mould (4.5cm by 4.5cm).
|4.5cm by 4.5 cm square mould|
- Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until edge of cookie is lightly golden brown.
- Let the tarts (both open face and square tarts) cool for at least an hour before keeping them in an air tight container. For the square tarts, remove them from the mould only when they are totally cooled.
You can find me on