A new school term have started and these were baked and packed into my kids school lunch boxes for their break time. The cookie bar consists of a shortbread base, layered with jam and topped with an oat crumble. A big batch of this can be easily whipped up and they keep well in the fridge up to a week.
165g butter, softened
76g castor sugar
165g organic unbleached flour (any type of all purpose flour will do)
60g rice flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
Steps to Shortbread:
- Butter and line a 25 by 25 cm square pan, leaving a over hang of 5 cm of baking paper; this will make removing the shortbread from the pan much easier. Set aside.
- Sieve the flours into a large bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter+sugar+salt, until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract and mixed until incorporated.
- Add flours and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mixed.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared square pan. Smooth out the surface as smoothly as you can.
- Place the pan in the fridge for at least 30 min to chill and firm up.
227g organic unbleached flour
115g butter, cold
40g raw oats
1/8 tsp salt
Steps to Crumble
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the cold butter into the rest of the ingredients above until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumb. You can use 2 butter knives to cut the butter into the flour too.
- Keep the mixture cold in the fridge until ready to use.
Shortbread pastry pressed into a 25 x 25cm pan
213g jam of any kind, I used a 4 fruits jam
Steps to sliced jam crumble
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Take the chilled shortbread pastry from the fridge and spread the jam evenly over the surface of the shortbread.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the jam layer and bake the crumble in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes or until top of crumble turns golden brown.
- Once ready, cool the crumble in the pan on a cooling rack for 2 hours.
- Slice and enjoy.
- The jam crumble can be enjoyed both warm and cold.
- Keep the remaining jam crumble in an air tight container for up to 1 week.
You can find me on