Christmas is drawing near! This is my biggest bake (in quantity) for Christmas. A total of 215 pieces. They tasted just like the real minty candy cane lolly but in a cookie! They are made without any artificial coloring and flavoring. Beetroot powder was used to colour the red portion of the dough.
Minty Candy Cane Cookies
(makes 70 candy cane cookies)
250g butter, room temperature
650g organic unbleached flour
2 large egg white
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp organic mint extract
1 tsp salt
3 tsp beetroot powder (red gel coloring if do not have beetroot powder)
Steps to candy cane:
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Sieve flour into a bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter, salt and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in egg white and mix till fully incorporated. Scrape down the side of the mixing bowl.
- Add in vanilla extract follow by mint extract.
- Add all the flour into the butter mixer and mix at a very low speed to form the dough.
- Divide the dough equally into 2. Knead the beetroot powder into half the dough until the dough is evenly colored.
- Scoop 1 teaspoon of the white dough and 1 teaspoon of the red dough.
- Form the two dough into equal length cylinders.
- Press them together and roll it using the palm of the hand into a longer cylinder, about 5cm long.
- Hold one end of the cylinder and gently twist the other end to form classic spiral of the candy cane.
- Bend one end of the cylinder to for the crooked end of the candy cane.
- Place the candy cane on a baking paper and bake for 20 minutes or till edge of the cookies are lightly golden.
- Cool on cooling rack and keep in air tight container for up to 1 week.
|They looked so festive!|
You can find me on