My sis-in-law shared this cold dessert recipe with me after I enjoyed the ones she made. The taste of pumpkin with cream is so delicious and a cold dessert is most welcomed in the sweltering heat that we are experiencing now in Singapore.
It is sweet (from the natural sweetness of pumpkin and maple syrup), creamy and velvety. It can be enjoyed warm or chilled. I just love it. Yummy!
Creamy Pumpkin Puree
serves 6 - 8 portions
1 medium size pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
3 pandan leaves, cut into 10cm pieces (optional)
200ml of water
2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey or sugar
400ml cream, more to dilute puree to desired consistency
Steps to pumpkin puree
- Put the pumpkin chunks, pandan leaves (optional) and water into a deep pot and let the water comes up to a simmer over low heat. Simmer the pumpkin until they are soft and fork tender. More water may need to be added if needed but not too much as it will dilute the flavour of the pumpkin.
- Once the pumpkin is soft, remove the pandan leaves. Let the pumpkin cool for 10 minutes then put the pumpkin into a blender, or using a stick blender, with 100ml of cream and maple syrup, blend the mixture into a puree.
- Using the remaining cream, dilute the puree to desired consistency.
- Chilled the mixture for at least 2 hours to enjoy a cold, yummy and healthy dessert.
- To serve the dessert warm, heat up the mixture over low heat but DO NOT BOIL the mixture as the cream will split.
- I find the sweetness of the puree just right for me but for some, you may want to add more maple syrup, honey or sugar to your desired sweetness.
- Cream can be replaced with milk or coconut cream.
Share the recipe with others through