I love Matcha! This cookie not only uses matcha, it also incorporate deliciously healthy ingredients such as black sesame and almond meal. I realized that almond meal helps to bring out the flavour of matcha more than compared to just using plain flour in a cookie.
The cookies are not too sweet as matcha powder do tame down the sweetness. The added vanilla filling, gave a boost to the flavour and texture.
I wanted to add adzuki beans to the vanilla filling but my children have not acquire a taste for it. So, it was omitted. It would have been a very classic Japanese flavour combination though. (Well...there will be a next time.)
Let's start making this delicious cookie!
Matcha Black Sesame Vanilla Sandwich Cookies
(makes 32 sandwich cookies) Adapted from Chopstick Chronicles
100g unsalted butter, room temperature
100g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
60g almond meal
200g organic unbleached all purpose flour
2 tsp matcha powder
1 Tbsp black sesame seeds
25g unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla paste
3 - 4 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
Steps to cookies:
- Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Mix in egg yolks, one at a time, and mix till well incorporated.
- Mix in almond meal and sieved flour and matcha powder until a dough is formed. Do not over mix after you add in the flour. Mix till the dough just comes together.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions, roll them into long logs. Forming a round shape or square shape log. Warp the logs in baking paper or plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes until firm.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (360 degrees F).
- Cut the logs into 5mm slices and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake them for 13 minutes or until edge of cookies are lightly golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool before filling them.
Steps to filling:
- Mix vanilla paste into the butter till it forms a uniform mixture. Add in sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture comes together like a soft Playdoh texture.
- Spread 1 tsp of filling on one cookie and place another on it to form a sandwich cookie.
- I would slice my cookies thinner to 5mm slices.
Other recipes that uses matcha:
|Matcha Sable Viennois|
|Dark Chocolate Matcha Cake|
|Matcha Snowskin Moon Cake|
|Matcha Stamped Cookies|
Share the recipe with others through