Beauty is in the simple things. It is how a feel about this simple cake. Simple to make with no fuss in its presentation. Full of apple goodness and tasted even better the next day.
It is naturally sweetened by the apples and the substitution of part of the sugar with unrefined raw sugar, gave it a Christmas fruit cake kind of complex sweetness. The cake is dairy free as cooking oil rather than butter was used, another no fuss feature in the making of this cake.
The toasted walnut definitely added another dimension of texture and flavour to the cake.
|Beautifully caramelized apple pieces|
(makes a 7" tube pan, serves 8 - 10 pax)
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
3 apples, cored and diced into 2 cm cubes ( I used 2 red Envy apples and 1 green apple)
1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
240g unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
157ml cooking oil (any neutral tasting cooking oil will work)
116g unrefined raw sugar
40ml orange juice
2 1/2 eggs
87g walnuts, toasted (optional)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Steps to apple cake:
(Preheat oven to 170 degrees C and bake for 1h 20 min to 1h 30 min)
- In a large bowl, mix the cut apples with cinnamon and sugar and let mixture sit while we prepare the cake mixture.
- Toast the walnut until fragrant and set it aside to cool.
- Sieve flour, baking powder and salt in a big mixing bowl.
- In another large bowl whisk together sugars, cooking oil, eggs, orange juice and vanilla extract until mixture is fully combined.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat the mixture till a uniform batter is formed. Fold in the toasted walnuts into the batter.
- Pour 1/2 the cake batter into the tube pan. Distribute as evenly as you can, 1/2 of the apple-cinnamon mixture and some of the liquid (from the apple as the sugar will extract some of the apple juice from the apples while it sits) on the batter in the tube pan. Pour the second half of the cake batter over the apple and topped it with the remaining apple mixture and juice.
- Adjust the baking tray to the lower 3rd of the oven and bake the cake at 170 degrees C for 1h 20 min to 1h 30 min. If top of the cake is browning too fast, use an aluminum foil to tent it. Cake tester or wooden skewer should come out clean when the cake is done.
- Let cake cool completely in the pan. The cake taste great on the day it is baked either warm or cold but tasted even better the next day. It is oh so yummy with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream.
Share the recipe: