Pound cake uses very basic ingredients; butter, eggs, sugar and flour, to make. By using the best ingredients that you can get your hands on, the final product will be a very fragrant and satisfying cake.
Today's recipe is made a little sophisticated with the addition of chocolate. The use of good chocolate and cocoa powder, makes the smell and taste of the cake so much more luxurious.
Let's get started.
Chocolate-Swirl Chocolate Pound Cake
(makes 4 loaf pans)
85g unsweetened chocolate, chopped (I used Calibaut 80%)
170g semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used Calibaut 50%)
(a) 355g organic unbleached all purpose flour
(a) 45g unsweetened dutch-processed cocoa powder ( I used Valrhona)
(a) 1/2 tsp baking powder
(a) 1/2 tsp baking soda
(a) 1/2 tsp salt
340g unsalted butter at room temperature
300g granulated sugar
300g packed light brown sugar
6 large eggs at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
225g sour cream (I replaced by exact amount of Greek yoghurt)
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 165 degrees Celsius. Get ready 4 loaf pans (199 x 75 mm). Grease the pans. I used the disposable paper pan, there is no need to grease these.
- Put unsweetened chocolate and semi sweet chocolate in separate heatproof bowls and melt them over a double boiler.After that, set the bowls aside to cool slightly
- Sift ingredients listed (a) into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and granulated and brown sugars until fluffy and smooth, about 3 min.
- Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and use a fork to beat them lightly. Add the eggs in three additions, mixing for about 1 min until each addition is blended into the butter mixture, and mixing in the vanilla with the last addition. Beat for 1 min more.
- On low speed, mix in the unsweetened chocolate. Mix in the sour cream (or I used Greek Yoghurt) until no white streaks remain.
- Mix in the flour mixture just until it is incorporated and the batter is smooth.
- Pour about two-thirds of the batter into the prepared pans. Leaving a 2.5 cm plain edge around the outside of the pan. Spoon about one-quarter of the semisweet chocolate over the batter. Swirl once with a knife. Spoon the remaining chocolate over the remaining one third batter in the bowl and swirl gently to streak it through the batter. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth out the top batter.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean about 55 min. If the top of the cake starts to brown before the cake is done baking, tent the cake with a aluminum foil. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for about 1 1/2 hours.
To be in the loop, click 'like' on Facebook: