- Tried & Tasted -

Friday 29 August 2014

Homemade Traditional Mooncakes


These are the baked mooncakes that I made this year. I am so happy and blessed to have a friend, I, who is very good at taking pictures (I loved the pictures she takes of her children) and was willing to take time to share her knowledge with me. Thank you, I.




The recipe I used this time is the same as Traditional Mooncakes (Part 1). I just changed the flavor of the fillings. The fillings consist of white lotus paste with organic raspberry powder, white lotus paste with single yolk, white lotus paste with chopped macadamia nuts, black sesame lotus paste with white sesame, black sesame lotus paste with chopped macadamia nuts and black sesame lotus paste with single yolk. 


Baked Moon Cake Recipe (makes 10, 100g moon cakes)
(Adapted from happy home baking)
Ingredients:
130g plain flour/ Hong Kong flour (I used organic unbleached all purpose flour)
93g golden syrup
25g/33ml canola oil
1/2 tsp alkaline water

Filling:
700g lotus paste
50g melon seed


Steps to bake:
  • Mix all the ingredients together and knead into a dough by hand.
  • Cover the dough and let it rest for 15 min.
  • Use the time to divide the lotus paste into 75g balls. Ratio of skin to filling is 1:3.
  • Measure 25g of the dough. Flatten the dough and wrap it around the lotus paste. 
  • Place it into the mould, to form the shape.
  • While moulding the moon cakes, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
  • Bake the moon cakes for 15 min. Take it out of the oven and brush the top and sides with egg wash and leave it out to cool for 15 min. 
  • Return the moon cakes into the oven and bake for another 8 - 10 min until skin is golden brown.
  • Remove the moon cake from the oven and let cool completely on a rack. When it is completely cool, store in air tight container at room temperature for at least 3 days before consuming. This is because the oil in the filling will be absorbed by the outer pastry to soften it. The process is known as '回油'.



These mooncakes pictures turned out so lovely under the guidance of friend, I.

Before baking

After baking

Baked Mooncake with Raspberry Powder


To be in the loop, click 'like' on Facebook:

4 comments:

  1. Lovely mooncakes and beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. Started the blog to archive the recipes online as well as to share it with others. I have learnt a lot from the online baking community.��

      Delete
  2. I need to get my hands on a mooncake mould.. I love mooncakes but have never made them myself before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thalia, thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete