Tomorrow is the start of another long weekend! Yay! Labour Day.
My husband have been asking me to make this pie for the longest time. The reason for not baking - I thought it might be a sugar bomb.
With lots of pecan in the freezer and a bottle of organic maple syrup waiting to be used, I decided to go for it. While the pie baked, it smells like I was making a batch of caramel in my kitchen. Delicious! To tone down the sweetness of the pie, I replaced some of the brown sugar with date sugar. I would describe the pie as crunchy, nutty, creamy, sticky and sweet. Have a great weekend ahead, everyone!
Maple Pecan Pie
(make a 23cm/9" pie)
75g light brown sugar
25g date sugar
55g unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tsp sea salt
204g Grade B, organic maple syrup (do not use the maple flavored pancake syrup. They are not the same.)
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
260g pecans, toasted
1/2 recipe of Pate Sucree (recipe found below)
Steps to bake:
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to a 30cm round, about 0.5cm thick. Fit the dough into the 23cm fluted tart pan with a removable bottom and trim the dough so that it comes slightly above the rim of the tart pan. Press the excess dough against the sharp edge of the rim of the pan with the heel of your hand to cut it level with the pan. Chill until firm, about 30 min.
- Set the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Place the chilled tart shell on the prepared baking sheet and line it with baking paper, leaving a 2.5cm overhang. Fill with pie weights (I used dried green beans). Bake until edges of the tart shell are firm and are just beginning to turn golden, 15 - 20 min. Remove the baking paper and pie weights (beans). Return the tart shell to the oven and continue to bake until the surface is golden all over, about 10 more min. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack while you prepare the filling for the pie.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk brown sugar, butter and salt until combined.
- Whisk in maple syrup, eggs and vanilla.
- Mix pecans into the egg mixture until incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled pie base.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 30- 35min until the center of the pie is still a little jiggly. If crust gets too dark, cover with strips of foil.
- Cool the pie completely on a wire rack and serve it with big dollop of whipped cream.
Pate Sucree Recipe (makes 2 single-crust 23cm tart)
adapted from The SoNo Baking Company Cookbook
363g organic unbleached flour
250g butter, at room temperature
55g castor sugar
1 1/8 tsp salt
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
Steps to make:
- In a bowl, whisk the flour at aerate it; set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar and salt on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down sides of the bowl halfway through. Add egg and yolk and mix to combine. Add the flour and beat until it has been absorbed.
- Scoop about half of the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap, shape into a flattened disk and wrap in the plastic. Do the same for the other half. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.