The Apple Cake, I my most favorite cake. I baked it again today in a loaf pan rather than a tube pan.
|The moist cake crumb with juicy pieces of cinnamon coated apples and sweet, crunchy almonds|
I tweaked some ingredients in the recipe to bake myself something a little healthier. I managed to reduce the sugar, added some whole wheat flour to increase the wholegrain content and slivered almonds was added rather than walnut, which gave the cake another dimension of sweetness. It still tasted as delicious with all the apple goodness and warm cinnamon-y fragrance.
These slices will be freeze and squirreled away to last me through the start of another term of teaching.
(makes two loaf pan, serves 8 - 10 pax)
3 apples, cored and diced into 2 cm cubes ( I used 2 red Envy apples and 1 green apple)
1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
220g unbleached all purpose flour
20g organic whole wheat flour
1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
157ml cooking oil (any neutral tasting cooking oil will work)
140g unrefined raw sugar
40ml orange juice or any kind of fruit juice
2 1/2 eggs
100g slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Steps to apple cake:
(Preheat oven to 170 degrees C and bake for 55 min to 60 min)
- Line 2 loaf pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the cut apples with cinnamon and sugar and let mixture sit while we prepare the cake mixture.
- Toast the slivered almonds until fragrant and set it aside to cool.
- Sieve flour, baking powder and salt in a big mixing bowl.
- In another large bowl whisk together sugars, cooking oil, eggs, orange juice and vanilla extract until mixture is fully combined.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat the mixture till a uniform batter is formed. Fold the toasted almonds into the batter.
- Pour 1/4 of the cake batter into each loaf pan. Distribute as evenly as you can, 1/4 of the apple-cinnamon mixture and some of the liquid (from the apple as the sugar will extract some of the apple juice from the apples while it sits) on the batter in each of the loaf pan. Pour the second quarter of the cake batter over the apple and topped it with the remaining apple mixture and juice.
- Adjust the baking tray to the lower 3rd of the oven and bake the cake at 170 degrees C for 55 min to 1h. If top of the cake is browning too fast, use an aluminum foil to tent it. Cake tester or wooden skewer should come out clean when the cake is done.
- Let cake cool completely in the pan. The cake taste great on the day it is baked either warm or cold but tasted even better the next day. It is oh so yummy with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream.
Share the recipe: