I love the French almond teacake, financier, and have been searching online for recipes as I have been indulging on store bought ones for too long.
These little edible gold bars (made in traditional small rectangular molds), were not difficult to make. The batter consists of beurree noisette (brown butter), egg whites, almond meal, sugar and flour.
Financier Recipe [Print Recipe]
(makes 30 mini muffin size financiers)
140g brown butter + 25g butter to butter the baking pan
150g castor sugar
121g egg whites (approx. four 57g eggs)
71g all purpose flour
50g almond meal
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
Steps to financiers
- Place butter slices in a saucepan and let it melt. Continue cooking until the butter becomes golden brown. The butter is ready when lightly browned specks begin to form at the bottom of the pan and give off a nutty aroma. Remove from the heat and stop the cooking process by pouring the nutty butter into a cold bowl or putting the saucepan in a sink of cold water. Put aside until ready to use.
- Mix almond meal, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk in the egg whites until mixture is uniform.
- Sift the flour into the almond-egg mixture and gently whisk the mixture together until all the flour have been incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Whisk in the cool brown butter and vanilla extract.
- Transfer the batter into piping bags, seal the bags and let batter rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours or 24 hours so that the flavours can further develop.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Pipped the batter into the buttered mini muffin tin to 3/4 filled.
- Rap the muffin tin on the table top a few times to help release trap air bubbles in the batter.
- Place muffin tin on the middle rack of the oven, reduce oven temperature to 180 degrees Celsius and bake for 15 - 18 minutes, or until surface of the teacake is golden brown.
- Once baked, remove the financiers from the muffin tin after it has cooled for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy it while it is warm or at room temperature but it is best right after it is baked.