Corn cup was what came to mind when I ate this cornbread warm with honey and butter. Corn cups are steam sweet corn niblets served with salted butter, all mixed up and served in a cup with a spoon. The sweetness and crunchiness of corn mixed with salted butter...mmmmm!
Corn bread is a form of quick bread which contains cornmeal and leavened by baking powder. Cornbread is a common bread in United States cuisine, particularly associated with the South and Southwest. It is widely eaten with barbecue, pinto beans and chili con carne.
Even though it is called a bread, it have a moist, crumbly and fluffy texture of a cake. The added corn niblets gave the bread another dimension of texture. All in all, the bread tasted and smell like freshly steamed sweet corn with butter.
Corn Bread Recipe
(makes 16 pieces)
(A) 120g cornmeal
(A) 125g organic unbleached flour
(A) 1 tsp baking powder
(A) 1/2 tsp baking soda
(A) 1/4 tsp salt
(B) 115g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
(B) 67g light brown sugar
(B) 2 Tbsp honey
(B) 1 large egg, room temperature
(B) 240ml buttermilk (I used 225ml of full cream milk and stirred in 1Tbsp of rice vinegar and let sit for 15 minutes)
1 cup of corn niblets that is cut off from a medium sized steamed corn.
Steps to cornbread
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line a 25cm by 25cm square pan with baking paper.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients listed (A), in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the wet ingredients (B), until completely smooth and thick. Fold in the 1 cup of steam corn niblets. There should be no brown sugar lumps.
- Pour the well mixed, wet mixture (B) into the dry mixture (A) and whisk until combined. Avoid over mixing.
- Pour the batter into the prepared square pan and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick insert into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. Cornbread is best served warm with butter, honey or jam.
- You can freeze the cooled cornbread but heat it up in a microwave before serving.
You can find me on