A cake recipe that I decided to try out before making it for an up coming lunar new year family gathering. It uses a basic sponge cake recipe and filled with fresh whipped cream and strawberries. The wordings (a little batter was mixed with beetroot powder) were pipped onto the baking paper and baked before the vanilla batter was later poured into the pan to bake.
As you can see, I still need to work on finding a better position to place the Chinese wordings so that the end of the roll is at the base of the cake. I'm happy with how the cake had turned out and the classic pairing of the soft vanilla sponge with strawberry and cream did not disappoint.
Vanilla Strawberry Swiss Roll
(makes a 23cm long roll)
5 egg whites
7 egg yolks
86g + 52g sugar
77g cake flour
22g corn flour
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
43g canola oil (any vegetable oil)
1/8 tsp beetroot powder
150g whipping cream, cold
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
8 strawberries, diced up
Steps to roll
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Line a 31.5cm by 23cm baking tray with baking paper.
- Sieve the flour and set aside.
- Whisk yolks + 86g of sugar until light and creamy.
- Add in vanilla and whisk till incorporate.
- In a clean mixing bowl, whisk egg white and slowly stream in 52g of sugar. Whisk till stiff peaks formed.
- Fold egg white into egg yolks mixture in 3 additions then sieve flours into egg batter in 2 additions and fold until there is no streaks of flour. Add oil and fold until oil is fully incorporated.
- Scoop 1 Tbsp of batter into a small clean bowl and sieve 1/8 tsp of beetroot powder into the batter and stir gently until the mixture is uniform in color.
- Transfer the red colored batter into a pipping bag and piped out the desired wordings or designs.
- Place the wordings or design into the oven and bake for 1 minute.
- Let the tray cool for 5 minutes before pouring in the rest of the batter. Spread the batter evenly and smooth the surface of the batter.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 - 15 min or until surface of cake is a little tan and the surface of sponge springs back when lightly pressed.
- Let the cake cool on the rack for 1 min and turn the cake over onto a clean dish towel.
- Remove the baking paper that the cake was baked in and cover the top with another clean baking towel.
- Turn the cake over again and score along the shorter edge, do not cut through the sponge, with 3 straight cuts 0.5cm apart. This will make the initial roll much easier.
- Start rolling the cake wrapping the kitchen towel as you form the roll. The kitchen towel will prevent the layers from sticking and also help hold the shape. Let cake cool in the rolled up state for 1 hour at least.
- To make the filling, whip up cold cream with sugar until stiff peaks.
- Unroll the cake carefully and spread the cream evenly on the cake. Sprinkling the diced up strawberry evenly on top of the cream and with the help of the kitchen towel, re-roll the cake to form the Swiss roll.
- Wrap the finished cake in baking paper, to help keep the shape and chill the cake for at least 2 hours before serving.
Enjoy the long weekend ahead. Wishing everyone a very happy and blessed lunar new year!
You can find me on