Just like salted caramel, this cookie falls into the category of sweet and savory bakes. The salted egg yolks provides the savory punch and with the added curry leaves, the cookie is a combination of fragrant, savory and sweet.
Salted Egg Yolk With Curry Leaves Cookies
(makes 105 small cookies)
170g unsalted butter, softened
4 salted egg yolks
20 curry leaves
250g organic unbleached flour
20g rice flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, for egg washing the top of the cookies
2 tsp poppy seeds, for sprinkling on the center of cookie
Steps to cookies:
- Using a fork, mash up the salted egg yolks and set aside for use later.
- Sieve flours and baking powder into a bowl.
- Grind the curry leaves with a tablespoon of sieved flours.
- Beat butter, mashed up egg yolks, sugar and salt until light and pale.
- Mix in the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until a uniform dough is formed.
- Wrap the dough in cling warp and chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Roll the dough to 1cm thickness and using a cookie cutter, cut out the desired shape.
- Place cut out cookies on baking paper, spacing them 1cm apart.
- Brush the top of the cookies with the egg wash and sprinkle poppy seeds on the top of the cookies.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool the cookies on a cooling rack for 30 minutes and keep cooled cookies in air tight container.
You can find me on